The keto diet is becoming a trend among people looking for quick, dramatic weight loss. There is no magic bullet for weight loss. We fall prey to wacko diets, but the truth is there is no quick fix.
What is keto diet? The low carb, high fat plan promises quick weight loss. It is touted recently by celebs of Hollywood- Jenna Jameson, Mama June and Halle Berry. Alia Bhatt, Karan Johar and Huma Quereshi from bollywood.Health experts worry about the side effects and complications. My daughter, a doctor, motivated me to write about side effects of ketosis. The diet involves cutting way back on carbohydrates, to help the body to achieve a state of ketosis in which it ha to burn fat for energy.
You may lose pounds of weight quickly but before actually going for keto diet you should know the side effects and complications arises due to this.
- The keto flu When people start ketosis they feel sick. They can experience vomit, gastrointestinal distress, a lot of fatigue and lethargy. These conditions arises because our body runs out for sugar to burn for energy and it has to start using fat. This transition alone is enough to make our body feel tired.
- Diarrhoea This may be due to the gallbladder, the organ that produces bile to help break down fat in the diet feeling overwhelmed. Lack of fibre in the diet also results in diarrhoea.
- Reduced athletic performance Some athletes swear by ketogenic diet, not just for weight loss but also for improving performance in their sports as well. But contrary to this their performance dropped.
- Ketoacidosis People with diabetes, ketosis can trigger a dangerous condition called keto acidosis. This occurs when the body stores up too many ketones— acids produced as a by product of burning fat and the blood becomes acidic, which can damage the liver, kidneys and brain. Symptoms of keto acidosis includes dry mouth, frequent urination, nausea, bad breath and breathing difficulties.
- Weight Regain Keto diet is so restrictive, health experts say it’s not an appropriate plan to follow long term. People will regain a lot of weight they lost as soon as they go back to carbs.it’s an issue with any fad diet.
- Less muscle mass, decreased metabolism Loss of muscle mass specially if you are eating much more fat than protein. You will lose weight but it might actually be a lot of muscle and because muscle burns more calories than fat, that will affect your metabolism. When a person goes off the ketogenic diet any regain much of their original weight. Instead of regain lean muscle you are likely to regain fat.
- Increased risk of heart disease and diabetes Doctors say that high fat diet may raise cholesterol levels and also increases the risk of diabetes. A study published in Lancet shows that people who followed diets that are low in carbs and high in animal proteins had a higher risk of early death compared to those consumed carbs in moderation.
Choice is yours whether to follow fad diets to lose weight or normal healthy proportionate diet which our grandparents used to take. If you want to stay healthy and live longer take balance diet. Lead active life.
Don’t forgot to share my blog. Subscribe it to read all my blog post . Give feedback about this blog to keep me motivating. Follow me on Instagram cs.vibha. Facebook page bloggingwithvibha