In Bhagwat Gita, Lord Krishna attempts to overcome Arjun’s gloominess or depression and resume his cheerfulness. Arjun overcomes dejection. From the despair we have to come in the state of gaiety. Howsoever lowered we get; we have to move towards in the status of cheerfulness as high spirits is human nature.
In this post, I would like to discuss depression increasing at an alarming rate worldwide. I want to share my experience observing my father, a clinical psychologist, treating depressed people and listening to them very patiently. I used to listen to his line of treatment from behind the door. I was often surprised and curious because the patients cried a lot, and I wondered why? We didn’t have google in those days. So I didn’t know about depression. My father didn’t share details of his professional life. Years later, my curiosity piqued again. Now my daughter is a doctor, so I learned that mental health is equally essential.
Depression may be due to several reasons, but feeling low should immediately consult an excellent clinical psychologist. Folks, never try to ignore your condition. Nowadays, depression is widespread, so go out and search for a good consultant.
Depression ranks as the disease with the third biggest global burden and is projected to rank first by 2030. So, take care of your mental health as well along with physical.
Depression is the main cause of disability worldwide, according to WHO. It can affect adults, adolescents, and children. An estimated one in seven Indians suffered from mental disorders of varying severity with depression and anxiety being the most common. Globally more than 264 million people of all ages suffer from depression. More women are affected by depression than men.
What is depression?
It is a mood disorder that involves a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. It is different from mood fluctuations that people regularly experiences as part of life.
Causes of Depression:
Bereavement or loss of a closed one can lead to depression. Feeling of grief is the main reason of depression if it persists. It is an ongoing problem. It consists of episodes during which the symptoms lasts for at least 2 weeks. It can lasts for several weeks, months and years.
- The brain’s physical structure or chemistry.
- History of other disorders(anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder)
- Stressful traumatic events(abuse, financial issues, death of a loved one).
- Hormone changes (menstrual cycles, pregnancy).
- Inactivity, dependancy on gadgets, smartphones, less physical work. Empty mind is devil’s workshop.
- Be an integrated personality. Disintegration causes stress leading to depression.
- Certain medications.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
- Persistent feelings of sadness, hopelessness, worthlessness or emptiness.
- Irritability, frustration or restlessness. Loss of interest in activities or hobbies that used to be enjoyable.
- Difficulty in sleeping, sleep disturbances or sleeping too much.
- Fatigue and lack of energy.
- Difficulty thinking clearly, remembering, concentrating or making decisions.
- Appetite or weight changes.
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide.
- Physical symptoms such as headaches, stomachaches, or back pain.
There are various methods you could use to sooth the symptoms of depression.
Treatment for Depression
- Exercise is helpful for the depressed mind. It enables you to better handle stress. The endorphins released during exercise give you a mental boost. Lifestyle changes plays an important role in treating depression.The centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that physical activity helps you sleep better at night.
- Yoga (the sun salutation ) is the best form of exercise which gives you relief from depression if you practice it regularly without any side effects.
- Meditation is also very effective way of clearing your head and calming your body.
- Try to express your thoughts on paper instead of bottling them inside.
- Clinical psychologist They will treat you with many types of therapy that works to change your thought processes. There is no shame in taking medications to manage your depression. People routinely take medication for physical ailments and having mental illness isn’t any different.
How can we cure depression by reading and understanding Bhagavad Gita?
Bhagavad Gita is one of the holiest books of Hindus. It has immense value with enormous intellectual depth that analyses and explains a variety of life experiences. If we followed seriously we will never experience depression.
Few lines from famous Hindi song “Hum ko bhi gam ne maara tumko bhi gam ne maara is gam ko maar daalo” In English: everyone is getting victim of depression so let’s kill this depression.
It’s my urge to people worldwide that if we include Bhagavad Gita in our school and college curriculum we will understand the truths of life better. Children will be aware of depression before they become prey of this disease.
Few life lessons from The Bhagavad Gita for dealing with depression
- Whatever passed off, passed off for good. Whatever is going on, is going on for good. Whatever will happen, may even occur, for good. Whatever you’re sulking approximately, overlook it. The activity interview that didn’t pass nicely or the relationships that didn’t paint became sure to happen. Everything takes place for a purpose. There is a purpose you’re going thru an awful section and there’s a purpose you are probably basking in glory, it’s a cycle and also you want quietly take delivery of it. You want now no longer fear approximately the destiny nor must you take note of the past. You simplest have to manage over the existing so stay it to the fullest.
- You have the right to work,but never to the fruit of work. “Karm karo phal ki chinta mat karo” is the wisest message the Bhagavad Gita give us. Expectations lead to pain. Keep working and don’t expect anything in return.
- Change is the law of the universe. You may be a millionaire or a pauper in an instant. Accepting extrude makes you coherent and sufficient to stand any difficult conditions in life.
- The soul is neither born and nor does it die. We can reap not anything if worry is instilled inside us. Fear kills ambition, dreams, or even the mild probabilities of progress. The worry of demise is absurd, as our souls don’t die. Fear and fear are the 2 enemies, which might be deterrents to our well-being. We should attempt to get rid of them from our minds completely.
- You got here empty-handed, and you may depart empty-handed. We got here stark bare into this international and we are able to pass without taking something to our graves.
- Lust, anger and greed are the three gates to self destructive hell.
- Man is made through his belief. As he believes, so he is. You are what you believe you studied you’re. Your mind makes and outlines you. If you believe you studied you’re a satisfied person, and you grow to be satisfied. If you permit an unhappy mind to take over your mind, you have a tendency to grow to be an unhappy person.
- Meditation is must for everyone.
- There is neither this world, nor the sector beyond, nor happiness for the only who doubts. Doubts create misunderstandings. They confuse you and fog your thoughts with doubtful thoughts.
- A man or woman can upward thrust via the efforts of his very own mind, or draw himself down, with inside the identical manner. Because all people are his very own buddy or enemy. You’re your very own first-rate buddy. If you’ve got a problem, most effective you’ll have an option to it. Believe in yourself.
I urge the person who is feeling depressed not to ignore his or her condition and consult clinical psychologists. Clinical psychologists can help you change your thought processes.
You can contact Dr. Umesh Sharma at +919313033567. He is renowned clinical psychologist.
The information in this blog is the result of several sources or experiences from another person. It is for your knowledge only. It is not a substitute for medical advice.
Please give feedback on my post so that I can improve. Don’t forget to share my post if you like it.