Mind could either be our best friend or worst enemy depending upon our state of mind.Bhagwat Gita
In this post, I would like to discuss depression increasing at an alarming rate worldwide. I want to share my experience observing my father, a clinical psychologist, treating depressed people and listening to them very patiently. I used to listen to his line of treatment from behind the door. I was often surprised and curious because the patients cried a lot, and I wondered why? We didn’t have google in those days. So I didn’t know about depression. My father didn’t share details of his professional life. Years later, my curiosity piqued again. Now my daughter is a doctor, so I learned that mental health is equally essential.
Depression may be due to several reasons, but feeling low should immediately consult an excellent clinical psychologist. Folks, never try to ignore your condition. Nowadays, depression is widespread, so go out and search for a good consultant.
Depression ranks as the disease with the third biggest global burden and is projected to rank first by 2030. So, take care of your mental health as well along with physical.
Depression is the main cause of disability worldwide, according to WHO. It can affect adults, adolescents, and children. An estimated one in seven Indians suffered from mental disorders of varying severity with depression and anxiety being the most common. Globally more than 264 million people of all ages suffer from depression. More women are affected by depression than men.
What is depression?
It is a mood disorder that involves a persistent feeling of sadness and loss of interest. It is different from mood fluctuations that people regularly experiences as part of life.
Causes of Depression:
Bereavement or loss of a closed one can lead to depression. Feeling of grief is the main reason of depression if it persists. It is an ongoing problem. It consists of episodes during which the symptoms lasts for at least 2 weeks. It can lasts for several weeks, months and years.
- The brain’s physical structure or chemistry.
- History of other disorders(anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder)
- Stressful traumatic events(abuse, financial issues, death of a loved one).
- Hormone changes (menstrual cycles, pregnancy).
- Inactivity, dependancy on gadgets, smartphones, less physical work. Empty mind is devil’s workshop.
- Be an integrated personality. Disintegration causes stress leading to depression.
- Certain medications.
Signs and Symptoms of Depression
- Persistent feelings of sadness, hopelessness, worthlessness or emptiness.
- Irritability, frustration or restlessness. Loss of interest in activities or hobbies that used to be enjoyable.
- Difficulty in sleeping, sleep disturbances or sleeping too much.
- Fatigue and lack of energy.
- Difficulty thinking clearly, remembering, concentrating or making decisions.
- Appetite or weight changes.
- Recurrent thoughts of death or suicide.
- Physical symptoms such as headaches, stomachaches, or back pain.
There are various methods you could use to sooth the symptoms of depression.
- Exercise is helpful for the depressed mind. It enables you to better handle stress. The endorphins released during exercise give you a mental boost. Lifestyle changes plays an important role in treating depression.The centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that physical activity helps you sleep better at night.
- Yoga is the best form of exercise which gives you relief from depression if you practice it regularly without any side effects.
- Meditation is also very effective way of clearing your head and calming your body.
- Try to express your thoughts on paper instead of bottling them inside.
- Clinical psychologist They will treat you with many types of therapy that works to change your thought processes. There is no shame in taking medications to manage your depression. People routinely take medication for physical ailments and having mental illness isn’t any different.
How can we cure depression by reading and understanding Bhagavad Gita?
Bhagavad Gita is one of the holiest books of Hindus. It has immense value with enormous intellectual depth that analyses and explains a variety of life experiences. If we followed seriously we will never experience depression.
Few lines from famous Hindi song “Hum ko bhi gam ne maara tumko bhi gam ne maara is gam ko maar daalo” In English: everyone is getting victim of depression so let’s kill this depression.
It’s my urge to people worldwide that if we include Bhagavad Gita in our school and college curriculum we will understand the truths of life better. Children will be aware of depression before they become prey of this disease.
Few life lessons from The Bhagavad Gita are
- Whatever happened, happened for the good. Whatever is happening, is happening for the good. Whatever will happen, will also happen, for good. Whatever you are sulking about, forget it. The job interview that didn’t go well, or the relationships that didn’t work was bound to happen and it happened. Everything happens for a reason. There is a reason you’re going a bad phase and there is a reason you might be basking in glory, it’s a cycle and you need quietly accept it. You need not worry about the future nor should you pay attention to the past. You only have control over present so live it to the fullest.
- You have the right to work,but never to the fruit of work. “Karm karo phal ki chinta mat karo” is the wisest message the Bhagavad Gita give us. Expectations lead to pain. Keep working and don’t expect anything in return.
- Change is the law of the universe. You can be a millionaire or a pauper in an instant. Accepting change makes you coherent enough to face any tough situations in life.
- The soul is neither born and nor does it die. We can achieve nothing if fear is instilled within us. Fear kills ambition, dreams and even the slight chances of progress. The fear of death is absurd, as our souls don’t die. Fear and worry are the two enemies, that are deterrents to our well being. We must strive to eradicate them from our minds completely.
- You came empty handed, and you will leave empty handed. We came stark naked into this world and we will go without taking anything to our graves.
- Lust, anger and greed are the three gates to self destructive hell.
- Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is. You are what you think you are. Your thoughts make and define you. If you think you are happy person , you become happy. If you let sad thoughts take over your mind, you tend to become a sad person.
- Meditation is must for everyone.
- There is neither this world, nor the world beyond, nor happiness for the one who doubts. Doubts create misunderstandings. They confuse you and fog your mind with unclear thoughts.
- A person can rise through the efforts of his own mind, or draw himself down, in the same manner. Because each person is his own friend or enemy. You’re your own best friend. If you have a problem, only you will have a solution to it. Believe in yourself.
Caution: I urge the person who is feeling depressed not to ignore his or her condition and consult clinical psychologists. Clinical psychologists can help you change your thought processes.
You can contact Dr. Umesh Sharma at +919313033567. He is renowned clinical psychologist.
Please give feedback on my post so that I can improve. Don’t forget to share my post if you like it.